Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Dan’s Garage Workshop

In 2010 I got out of the Air Force and decided to try my hand at owning my own woodworking business. My plan was to start with making shadow boxes for military retirements and expand from there. In 2012 I got divorced and lost almost every tool. Five years later, remarried and a new baby, I’ve finally built back up to a fully capable shop. I had to make compromises as some of the tools are more entry level compared to what I had before but I’ll be upgrading if resources and needs dictate. To be honest, I wasn’t that successful the first time I tried this. I had to remind myself that even Steve Jobs was fired from the company he started and he needed that life lesson to make Apple what it is today. I think I’ve learned a lot from my experience which primarily drove the planning this time around. I hope the pictures speak for themselves and I’m happy to answer any questions. One issue I’ll address right away is that I skipped the big 4″ central dust collection and opted for smaller shop vacs/dust deputies throughout the shop. So far I’m happier with the performance. Overall I’ve tried to use as many “lean manufacturing” principles as possible. The bottom line is the most important thing in endeavors like this is to GET GOING so keep that in mind when you see things like a workbench from Harbor Freight and etc. Wish me luck. Thank God I still have a day job, for now.

The post Dan’s Garage Workshop appeared first on The Wood Whisperer.



from The Wood Whisperer http://ift.tt/2ss4Hbm
via IFTTT